Prehab | Rehab
Prehab and Rehab
What is Pre-hab?
Pre-operative physiotherapy helps to prepare you for your upcoming surgery and can optimise response to the procedure as well as recovery time by:
- Improving strength and mobility of the affected area and supporting muscles
- Increase confidence
- Prepare you mentally for what to expect post-surgery
It is also likely that before surgery, there was a pre-existing muscle imbalance such as loss of mobility or weakness in surrounding muscles. So it will be beneficial to address this as much as possible prior to the procedure.
What happens after surgery?
Due to the nature of most surgical procedures, strength and mobility of surrounding soft tissue is lost.Swelling, pain and immobility also contribute to deconditioning.
Thankfully, there are plenty of physiotherapy interventions to address these deficiencies to get you moving in the most comfortable way.
Post-operative rehabilitative physiotherapy helps in the recovery and re-gaining function after the procedure and involves:
- Supervised restorative exercises to reduce swelling, increase mobility and improve strength
- Use of equipment that can help to actively assist exercises to make it more comfortable to do
- Hands on manual therapy to relieve symptoms and reduce swelling
- Prescription of a home exercise programme to maintain the gains made in treatment
- Progression of exercises to aim toward regaining full function
- Advice and education on how to best manage symptoms
Create an action plan with your physio pre-surgery by Booking Online